Oral Cancer: Symptoms and Treatment
Oral cancer, which includes cancers of the lips, tongue, cheeks, floor of the mouth, hard and soft palate, sinuses, and pharynx (throat), can be life threatening if not diagnosed and treated early.
You should worry if you have the following symptoms:
- a sore or irritation that doesn’t go away
- red or white patches
- pain, tenderness or numbness in mouth or lips
- a lump, thickening, rough spot, crust or small eroded area
- difficulty chewing, swallowing, speaking or moving your tongue or jaw
- a change in the way your teeth fit together when you close your mouth
- Ear pain
- Dramatic weight loss
The main treatments for oral cancer are:
- Chemotherapy with radiotherapy (chemoradiation)
During your dental visit at Vip Dental Clinic, Dr Tabourakis will talk to you about your health history and examine these areas for signs of mouth and/or throat cancer. Regular visits can improve the chances that any suspicious changes in your oral health will be caught early, at a time when cancer can be treated more easily.